Total Pageviews

Monday 8 July 2013

Honeys

A quick dash up to Saltholme yesterday afternoon after the Bridled Tern was reported from there however the bird didn't hang around long enough to connect with, a Roseate offered a little recompense, it was later seen again further north at East Chevington. So the plan this morning was to head up there with Mark and try for it again, however I was unable to contact him last night or this morning so I ended up going out on my own, Northumberland with just the offchance it may show again was a non starter on my own so I decided on the Raptor Watchpoint at Wykeham again as it was a nice day, I made a quick visit to Ellerburn Bank on the way but still couldn’t find the Greater Butterfly Orchid although plenty of proper Butterflies were on the wing. At the Watchpoint it was very quiet again and there had been no sightings of any Honey Buzzards during the morning, I gave it 2-3 hours spurred on by the fact a certain Mr G Catley was present and stuff usually performs for him but not today, there were frequent sightings of Goshawks and common Buzzards and a Golden Ringed Dragonfly was buzzing around but that was it. Mid afternoon I thought I would have a change of scenery and dropped down to check the valley up to High Dale, it was a bit slow at first but after about an hour a Honey Buzzard crested the ridge and started soaring right above me, five mins later a Goshawk came hunting scattering all the Wood Pigeons, happy with that I took a slow drive home along Troutsdale stopping at Hilla Green where Kingfisher, Grey Wagtail and Spotted Flycatcher entertained and a Dipper flew up stream.
Burnet Moth at Ellerburn


bright sky meant just silhouettes


Goshawk into the sun

juv Grey Wag at Hilla Green

plus adult

No comments:

Post a Comment