Total Pageviews

Monday 15 July 2013

Fen Bog

Its very quiet birdwise at the moment apart from the Bridled Tern still teasing up north so I thought I’d just have a few hours at Fen Bog today for the Dragonflies etc, it was a murky start up on the Moors with low cloud and drizzly rain but it started to brighten up after half an hour or more so I ventured out, a pair of Whinchats kept me occupied for a while, they were obviously attending a nest so I settled myself down and they soon accepted my presence and came fairly close at times as they collected food for their young, during this time it had turned into a nice morning so I eventually went off in search of interesting insects, unfortunately they weren’t playing ball and although I had a good selection of Butterflies including three species of Skipper I didn’t see Large Heath or any Fritillaries, no Dragonflies either apart from a single Golden Ringed that flew past while I was photographing the Whinchats. A bonus was an Adder up near the Railway Tracks but it clocked me and disappeared into the vegetation before I had a chance to photograph it, also of note were lots of juv Swallows flying around and perching on wires, looks like its been a good breeding season and there were quite a few Lesser Redpolls flitting around and calling, cant say I've noted them here before.
The Bog

with the occasional passing Train

lots of Heather in flower on the surrounding Moorland







lucky flight shot




Sun Dew



Small Heath

Common Blue female

and male

Meadow Brown

Ringlet

Large ...

Small ...

and Dingy Skippers


No comments:

Post a Comment