Total Pageviews

Sunday 26 October 2014

Rough Diamond

I nipped to Hornsea Mere first thing this morning where there was the usual good selection of water birds including a Red Necked and at least two Slavonian Grebes then I got news I was hoping for, yesterdays Rough Legged Buzzard at Grindale near Bridlington was still present so I headed straight over. I got good scope views of it sat in a tree when I first arrived but it wasn’t very co-operative at first being out of view for a lot of the time, a ringtail Hen Harrier was a nice bonus during this period and there was also a common Buzzard floating around, I stuck with it and eventually by the early afternoon the Rough Legged became more active even hunting along the roadside verge several times affording fantastic views, a real star bird. I ended the day at South Landing, Flamborough where a juv Curlew Sandpiper accompanied a handful of more common waders in the bay corner, a Grey Wagtail I thought was unusual for this area.
one of the Slavs



Hen Harrier


initial views of the Rough Legged


then it came a bit closer







unfortunately a bit too far for a decent perched shot


on its favourite tree in late afternoon sunshine

one last fly past





a smart juv Curlew Sandpiper




a few Black Headed Gulls also in the bay corner looked good in
the evening light

No comments:

Post a Comment