Total Pageviews

Monday 8 June 2015

around Lincoln for good birds, butterflies and flowers

A day in Lincs, I started at Whisby Nature Park on the outskirts of Lincoln with Nightingales on the agenda, I’m a bit later doing this trip this year and the birds weren’t singing as much, were more secretive and there was more undergrowth, nevertheless at least four were heard and after a lot of perseverance I eventually got some views of one, no pics this year though, also a good selection of Warblers and a Cuckoo around plus hundreds of Common Blue Damselflies and Chimney Sweeper Moths. Early afternoon I headed off to Chambers Farm Wood, I thought I would reacquaint myself with Marsh Fritillaries this year, been a while since I last saw one unfortunately with the weather etc it’s got a bit late in the season, I managed to see three although only one was posing and that was starting to look a bit tatty, a good number of Common Blues were also about plus a couple of Dingy Skippers and a nice little bonus in the form of a Greater Butterfly Orchid, rather fitting. I called in at Alkborough on the way home, it was fairly quiet, a few Avocets and Black Tailed Godwits in front of the Hide and a Marsh Harrier over the reeds were about the best of it.
Chimney Sweeper

Common Blue Damselfly

Marsh Orchid I think

Garden Warbler


Marsh Fritillary on Ragged Robin






Dingy Skipper

lots of Common Blues about

a nice bonus in the shape of this Butterfly Orchid

Ragged Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment