Total Pageviews

Sunday 11 May 2014

Hoopoe on the lawn

I was out after work yesterday afternoon, my phone had run out of charge so I couldn't get any news, decided I'd try for Tree Pipits at Skipwith Common, I called in at North Duffield Carrs as I was passing but there is little water there now and it was a bit quiet, at the Common it was rather windy so there was nothing up and singing but there was a pair of Cuckoo chasing around at the Southern end with the female as vocal as the male, its been a while since I've heard that call, also a Buzzard floating around.

a pair of Shoveler in front of the hide at NDC

plus a Heron dropped in

Skipwith Common

a Buzzard over

After I got home I was a bit miffed to find out there had been a Hoopoe in a garden in Beverley, I cursed my luck again, however the bird was still present this morning and showing well, fingers crossed it remained so till late afternoon when I would get a chance to go for it, it did but there was still a tense half hour or so, I arrived at the same time as a pretty hefty thunderstorm with hail, 15 mins and it had passed over but the bird had also fled the storm and it was another 15-20 mins before it returned, when it did it was just incredible, such a confiding bird I took more than 500 photos, here are a few.







a bit of bizarre behaviour, it threw itself to the ground half
rolling over onto its back, don't know what that was about




No comments:

Post a Comment